SARWARI QADRI SAINTS
SARWARI QADRI LINEAGE
- Prophet Mohammad
- Ali ibn Abi Talib
- Shaikh Hasan of Basra
- Shaikh Habib Ajmi
- Shaikh Dawud Tai
- Shaikh Maroof Karkhi
- Shaikh Sirri Saqti
- Shaikh Junayd of Baghdad
- Shaikh Jafar Abu Bakr Shibli
- Shaikh Abdul Aziz bin Hars bin Asad Tamimi
- Shaikh Abu-al-Fazal Abdul Wahid Tamimi
- Shaikh Mohammad Yousaf Abu-al-Farrah Tartusi
- Shaikh Abu Al-Hasan Ali Bin Mohammad Qureshi Hankari
- Shaikh Abu Saeed Mubarak Makhzoomi
- Al-Ghawth al-Azam Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani
- Shaikh Sayyid Abdul Razzaq Jilani
- Shaikh Sayyid Abdul Jabbar Jilani
- Shaikh Sayyid Mohammad Sadiq Yahya
- Shaikh Sayyid Najmuddin Burhan Puri
- Shaikh Sayyid Abdul Fattah
- Shaikh Sayyid Abdul Sattar
- Shaikh Sayyid Abdul Baqqa
- Shaikh Sayyid Abdul Jaleel
- Shaikh Sayyid Abdul Rehman Jilani Dehlvi
- Sultan-ul-Arifeen Sultan Bahoo
- Sultan-ul-Tarikeen Sultan Sayyid Mohammad Abdullah Shah Madni Jilani
- Sultan-ul-Sabireen Sultan Pir Mohammad Abdul Ghafoor Shah Hashmi Qureshi.
- Shahbaz-e-Arifaan Sultan Pir Sayyid Mohammad Bahadur Ali Shah Kazmi al-Mashhadi.
- Sultan-ul-Auliya Sultan Mohammad Abdul Aziz
- Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman
SARWARI QADRI ORDER THROUGH AGES
Sarwari Qadri order links back to Prophet Mohammad sall Allahu alayhi wa’alihi wassallam through Ali ibn Abi Talib. It is unique spiritual order which contains greatest blessing of vision of Allah and pride of Prophet Mohammad i.e. FAQR. As Prophet Mohammad said;
اَلۡفَقۡرُ فَخۡرِیۡ وَالۡفَقۡرُ مِنِّی
Meaning: Faqr is my pride and Faqr is from me.
اَلْفَقْرُ فَخْرِیْ وَالْفَقْرُ مِنِّی فَافْتَخِرُّ بِہٖ عَلیٰ سَائِرِ الْاَنْبِیَآ ئِ وَالْمُرْسَلِیْنَ
Meaning: Faqr is my pride and Faqr is from me. Faqr is the reason of my superiority over all Prophets and Messengers.
اَلْفَقْرُ کَنْزٌ مِنْ کَنُوْزِ اللّٰہِ تَعَالیٰ
Meaning: Faqr is one of the treasures of Allah.
Faqr is the knowledge and path of Divine vision and union. All great Companions followed Prophet Mohammad on this path and acquired Divine vision and union through him. In that era, this order existed without any title.
ALI IBN ABI TALIB
The Holy Prophet transferred Divine Trust of Faqr to Ali ibn Abi Talib so that through him it is passed on to umma. Hence, Ali is the Baab-e-Faqr i.e. ‘door to Faqr’. That is why, the Holy Prophet said about him:
- For whom I am the master, Ali is his master. (Tirmidhi 3713)
Shaikh Ahmad Sirhindi (Mujadid Alif-Sani) whom all sections of Muslims unanimously accept as true Islamic scholar writes in his letters;
- Attaining to the Divine Oneness and union with Allah is possible through two ways. One is of Prophethood. Only the Prophets can find Divine Oneness and union through this way directly without any mediation. Hence, it ended at the last Prophet Mohammad. The other way is of sainthood. Followers of this way find the Divine Oneness and union through mediation and source. This group comprises of al-Qutb, Abdal, Autad and Saints. The source and mediation to travel this way is Ali ibn Abi Talib. This way particularly belongs to him. Prophet Mohammad heads him in this way. Fatimah bint Mohammad and his sons Hasan and Husayn unite in singularity with Ali in this status. (Letter no. 123 from Maktubat-e-Imam Rabbani)
Sultan-ul-Arifeen (Sultan of Mystics) Sultan Bahoo rehmat-ul-Allah alayh says;
- Ali ibn Abi Talib got Faqr from the Holy Prophet. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Moreover, Fatimah bint Mohammad got the treasure of Faqr from Prophet Mohammad and holds the status of first Sultan-ul-Faqr.
Note: In order to know about Sultan-ul-Faqr souls please visit
HASAN OF BASRA
Hazrat Ali karam Allah wajhul kareem passed on Trust of Faqr to Hasan of Basra who is the second Sultan-ul-Faqr. The Sufi books Siyar-ul-Auliya and Siyar-ul-Aqtab state about the oath of allegiance and spiritual succession of Hasan of Basra:
- Hasan of Basra took oath of allegiance at the hands of Ali ibn Abi Talib. Ali granted him special cloak and turban which Holy Prophet had granted him, thus appointed him his superior spiritual successor. Also, he passed on complete knowledge of Divine secrets to Hasan hence transferred the Trust of Faqr to him. Furthermore, Ali taught him the real method of invocation of Islamic creed (Kalma Tayyab) as Prophet Mohammad had taught him. That is, through negation of everything other than Allah (nafi) and verification by heart of His Essence (Asbat). Afterwards, Hasan introduced this method in the world of Islam.
Thus, Hasan of Basra established a grand system of spiritual orders which spread through his two successors.
Five orders namely Zaidiyyah, Ayyazia, Adhmia, Hibiria and Chishtia started from Shaikh Abdul Waahid bin Zaid. While nine orders namely Ajmia, Taifuria, Karkhia, Saqtia, Junaydia, Gazronia, Tusia, Soharwardia and Firdausia originated from Shaikh Habib al-Ajmi.
TITLES OF SARWARI QADRI ORDER IN DIFFERENT ERAS
Hasan of Basra passed on the Trust of Faqr to Shaikh Habib al-Ajmi. Hence, he was the next spiritual leader of this order and for the first time this order got a title i.e. Ajmia after the name of Shaikh Habib al-Ajmi. When he transferred Divine Trust to Shaikh Maroof Karkhi, this order got the title of Karkhia. Similarly, on reaching Hazrat Sirri Saqti its title became Saqtia. Then, Shaikh Junayd of Baghdad gave it properly organized shape by the title Junaydia. Well-known Saint of Sub-continent Hazrat Ali bin Usman al-Hajveri commonly known as Data Gunj Bakhsh also belonged to Junaydia order. Afterwards, its title remained Junaydia for almost two centuries till it reached Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani. Even the spiritual guide of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani, Shaikh Abu Saeed Mubarak Makhzoomi belonged to Junaydia order.
AL-GHAWTH AL-AZAM SHAIKH ABDUL QADIR JILANI
Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani (Ghaus ul Azam) is most eminent personality of Sarwari Qadri order after Ali ibn Abi Talib. He is the third Sultan-ul-Faqr. Shah Waliullah Dehlawi describes his grandeur in his work Hama’at, as:
- After Ali ibn Abi Talib starts a series of Sufis and Saints. Most powerful and superior to all of them is Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani. He travelled mystic path with utmost excellence through actual Awaisi way. That is why he is believed to be as powerful in his grave as he was when alive.
When he held the throne of Divine guidance and persuasion in 521 Hijri, Muslims had not only declined politically and religiously all over the world but their spiritual orders had weakened as well. Hence, he enlivened true Mohammadan religion through his sermons, books and spiritual training. That is why, his title is Mohiyyuddin meaning ‘the reviver of religion’. Moreover, all previous spiritual orders collected in his sacred self and he reorganized them. Thus, four spiritual orders originated from him; Qadri, Soharwardi, Chishti and Naqshbandi. Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani leads Qadri order himself. While, he appointed Shaikh Shahabuddin Soharwardi, Moinuddin Chishti and Bahauddin Naqshband as leaders of Soharwardi, Chishti and Naqshbandi orders respectively. All three got beneficence from Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani. Hence, Qadri order is superior to all other orders just as he is superior to all other Saints.
Shaikh Abdul Qadir passed on Trust of Faqr to his son Abdul Razzaq Jilani who is fourth Sultan-ul-Faqr.
SULTAN-UL-ARIFEEN SULTAN BAHOO
Qadri order was reorganized and named as Sarwari Qadri order by Sultan Bahoo. He undoubtedly holds most superior status in this order after Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani and is fifth Sultan-ul-Faqr. Sarwari Qadri order reached Sultan Bahoo through Shaikh Abdul Rehman Jilani who belonged to progeny of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani. Sultan Bahoo revers Shaikh Abdul Qadir in all his books and considers him his spiritual guide. He entitled this order as Sarwari Qadri to highlight its relation with the Holy Prophet and Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani. Basically, Sarwari means ‘leader’ and it refers to the Holy Prophet Mohammad, hence shows association with him. Whereas, Qadri means ‘all-powerful’ and it shows association with Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani.
Sultan Bahoo significantly spread Sarwari Qadri order in Indo-Pak and gave it many new dimensions according to requirements of age. Furthermore, he provided complete knowledge about this mystic way through his books. Moreover, he separated Sarwari Qadri order from other off-shoot of Qadri order i.e. Zahidi Qadri. It was great land mark which distinguished Sarwari Qadri order purely as order of spirituality and mysticism. Whereas, in Zahidi Qadri order emphasis is mostly on physical devotions. Sultan Bahoo explicitly declares only the Sarwari Qadri order the proper and real Qadri order.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ZAHIDI QADRI AND SARWARI QADRI ORDER
Sultan Bahoo explains the difference between Zahidi Qadri and Sarwari Qadri order in these words;
- The Qadri way is dominant over time and space. There are two off-shoots of Qadri way, the Zahidi Qadri and Sarwari Qadri. Basically, what is the difference between the two? Sarwari Qadri is the mystic way which Holy Prophet conferred upon me……Consequently, every seeker whom I guided thereafter, physically or spiritually, through the medium of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and Ism-e-Mohammad, got presence of Mohammadan Assembly without any struggle or invocation. Then, there remained no veil between Allah and that seeker and he observed Ism-e-Allah Zaat wherever he looked. In short, Sarwari Qadri way is very beneficent and courageous. In other mystic ways, some seekers burnt to death by the blaze of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. While, some could not bear the burden of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and retreated whereas some apostatized and were cursed. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
He further says;
- Qadri order has two off shoots; Sarwari Qadri and Zahidi Qadri. Sarwari Qadri spiritual guide has perfect command over contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. When he blesses the seeker with spiritual education and Divine guidance through Ism-e-Allah Zaat, he grants him the status equal to his own on very first day. Thus, the seeker becomes indifferent and independent of all needs. His attention remains focused only on Truth. Hence, gold and soil become equal for him. On the contrary, follower of Zahidi Qadri order has to devote at least twelve years to very hard mystic struggles. So much so, his stomach remains empty. After twelve years, he becomes eligible to be presented before Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani and attains the status of lost devotee. While the status of Sarwari Qadri disciple is that of a beloved. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
SUPERIORITY OF SARWARI QADRI ORDER
Sarwari Qadri order is superior to other orders also because the blessings of Divine vision and presence of Mohammadan Assembly are only found in it. Sultan Bahoo says;
- Sincere invokers and special invocation which annihilates the invokers in Allah honouring them with His vision are found only in perfect mystic way of Sarwari Qadri order. If any other order claims such invocation and invokers, then it is surely a lie and its followers are veiled. (Nur-ul-Huda Kalan)
- Perfect spiritual guide of Sarwari Qadri order is like great rider of lion. While, spiritual guides of other orders are like fox, how a fox can dare before the lion! Hence, ultimacy of disciples of all other orders remains inferior to the beginning of true Sarwari Qadri. Even if they practice hardest mystic exercises for their whole life. Sarwari Qadri spiritual guide is comprehensive and complete. He is such a book, inwardly as well as outwardly, which has the status of “Book of all the books”. By reading this book, the seeker annihilates in Allah in such a way that there remains no veil before him. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- It is only the way of Faqr and Sarwari Qadri order that grants awareness about every knowledge and elevates a person to the level of eternal Mystic and a man of Divine closeness and union. If any other order claims it, that is just a lie and bragging. (Nur-ul-Huda Kalan)
SARWARI QADRI ORDER AFTER SULTAN BAHOO
After Sultan Bahoo, Sarwari Qadri order continued from Sultan Sayyid Mohammad Abdullah Shah Madni Jilani. He transferred it to Sultan Pir Mohammad Abdul Ghafoor Shah Hashmi Qureshi. Then, from him the order and Trust of Faqr reached Sultan Pir Sayyid Mohammad Bahadur Ali Shah Kazmi al-Mashhadi. After him, the spiritual leader of Sarwari Qadri order was Sultan-ul-Auliya Sultan Mohammad Abdul Aziz. He passed on the Trust of Faqr to his son Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali who is the sixth Sultan-ul-Faqr. Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali transferred Trust of Faqr to the eternally chosen heir of this treasure Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman. Presently, he is the spiritual leader of Sarwari Qadri order as well as the Universal Divine Man of era. Moreover, he is the ‘Reviver of Religion’ (Mujadid-e-Deen) of this age.
‘Sultan’ is part of names of all spiritual leaders after Sultan Bahoo to show association with his order. Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali has described another reason for Sultan being part of their names in these words:
- Hoo ھُوْ is Sultan-ul-Azkar (king of invocations). Whoever annihilates in Hoo is ‘the Sultan’.
This websites is specially based on biographies of all spiritual leaders of Sarwari Qadri order from Sultan Bahoo till Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman.